Interior lighting is a crucial element to the beauty of your home. An exquisitely lit home is a welcome treat to its guests and owners. Good lighting can create a sense of homeliness and warmth. Bad lighting can make a space appear harsh and unflattering.
The first step when deciding on lighting design is to consider how each space will be used. Choose lighting fit for the task. Lighting can be split into three categories: decorative lighting, task lighting and mood lighting.
Decorative Lighting – Light strips, pendants, chandeliers, and sconces are all examples of light fixtures that draw attention to themselves and add character to the room being lighted. Many are also used for general lighting.
Task Lighting – Task lighting, or directional lighting, is aimed at a specific task. It is a way to provide more light on a specific area to perform a task that requires more light than the ambient fixtures can give. Desk lamps, ceiling pendant fixtures, and appliance lights are all good examples of task lighting fixtures and can give the additional lighting needed to read a book or newspaper and prepare food.
Mood lighting – is also a sort of a directional lighting that adds drama to a room by creating visual interest. As part of a decorating scheme, it is used to spotlight paintings, sculpture or outdoor landscaping. Mood lighting requires at least three times as much light on the focal point as the general lighting around it. This usually is provided by track, recessed, or wall-mounted fixtures.
5 useful lighting tips for every home owner –
1. Consider how the room will be used and select lighting accordingly
2. Layer lighting using a combination of lighting styles
3. Choose fittings to suit the size and design of the space
4. Common pitfalls include choosing fittings that are too small, hanging lights too high, using too many downlights, using high wattage bulbs and only using ceiling sconces
5. Be creative. Don’t be afraid to use unexpected fittings, for example a chandelier in the kitchen or a table lamp in the bathroom